Laredo, Texas – The City of Laredo is informing the community of a freeze storm warning expected for Thursday, January 20, starting at 6:00 PM and until noon on Friday, January 21, 2022. This information has been shared by the National Weather Service, where a wintry mix will result in light ice and perhaps snow accumulations across South Texas, especially Laredo and Webb County.
During Thursday, the community is expected to experience a dramatic change in temperature with rain, freezing rain, sleet, and snow. These winter precipitations are forecast to end by Friday afternoon, as temperatures will warm above freezing.
The Emergency Coordinator Manager, Chief Guillermo Heard, along with various municipal departments and other local agencies, are monitoring the forecast closely in order to prepare and communicate to Laredoans about the precautions of this winter storm.
Some of the recommendations for the Laredo community during this hazardous weather conditions are as follows:
- Stay indoors while winter warning is in effect
- If going out is inevitable, driving should be done with extreme caution, follow road closure signs, and watch for ice
- Monitor plumbing and cover exposed pipes with adequate protection
- Communicate with family and friends of the elderly population to make sure they have adequate shelter
- Stay informed through local news and the City of Laredo official social media channels
- Provide an indoor shelter for pets
If power outages are to occur, the community can report these to AEP at 1-866-223-8508 or review updates through their Twitter account @AEPTexas.
For other questions or concerns, the community can contact the Laredo 3-1-1 Call Center.